To enhance our existing absence-checking procedure, we are introducing a new, more efficient student absence reporting system called SafeArrival. This new system will reduce the time it takes to verify student attendance, make it easy for you to report your child’s absence and easy for staff to respond to unexplained student absences.
With SafeArrival, you are asked to report your child’s absence in advance using any of these 3 convenient methods:
1) Using your mobile device, download and install the SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (or from the links at https://www.sd33.bc.ca/safe-arrival ). The first time you use the app, select Sign Up to create your account. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
2) Use the SafeArrival website, https://www.sd33.bc.ca/safe-arrival. The first time you use the website, select Sign Up to create your account. Select Attendance then Report an Absence.
Call the toll-free number 1-833-698-6567 to report an absence using the automated phone system.
These options are available 24 hours/day, 7 days a week. Future absences can be reported at any time.
• Please Do Not park in staff designated parking spots, please use visitor parking or park on side streets.
• Do Not park and leave your vehicle in the drop off / pick up lane.
• Have child(ren) exit the car as quickly as possible from the curbside of the car.
• Please Do Not hold up traffic in the drop off zone by having extended good-byes etc.
• Do Not drop off or pick up before your car has reached the designated zone.
• Please use the crosswalks.
Weekly Reminders: December 4-8
Monday, December 4
- Food Drive Continues
- Our goal is to collect 800 items for the Salvation Army Food Bank.
- This year the Salvation Army has assigned food items to each participating school to collect. Our school has been asked to collect Macaroni & Cheese, Peanut Butter and Pasta. Other donations will also be gratefully accepted. Thank you for your support!
- Christmas Sale Donations to the Office
- The PAC is looking for New or Gently used items for the Christmas Sale
- Donations can be dropped off at the office until December 19th
- All Students will have an opportunity to shop at the Christmas Sale and purchase an item for a loved one for $1.00.
Friday, December 8
- DC League of Super Pets
- Admission is $2.50 (.50¢ off with each non-perishable food item)
- Proceeds from Admission & Concession and Food Donations will go to Strathcona’s Pantry.
- Doors Open @ 6:00pm, Movie Starts @ 6:30pm
- Concession will be available, please no outside food or drinks.
- All Students must be accompanied by an Adult to attend.
Inclement Weather Guidelines
Information for Parents/Guardians and Students
Inclement weather conditions such as freezing rain, significant snowfall or high wind can occur during the fall and winter months. In such conditions, decisions on the opening or closure of school district facilities are made by the Superintendent of Schools in consultation with management and supervisory staff who have checked first-hand on the driving conditions, walking/sidewalk conditions, and general condition of buildings and accessibility to sites. For more details on how this is done, https://www.sd33.bc.ca/sites/sd33.bc.ca/files/2022-10/Inclement%20Weather%20Guidelines%20-%20District%20Assessment%202022.pdf
While service to students and parents is a priority and schools will be kept open as much as is reasonably possible, student and staff safety is the primary consideration.
In the event of extreme weather conditions, parents are urged to check the School District website www.sd33.bc.ca or tune into radio stations STAR FM (98.3 FM) or JR Country (89.5 FM), to receive up-to-date information on school closures and information on bussing. Reports will start after 6:00 a.m. and will be repeated often. There is no need to call your school, the School District Office or the radio station.
When there is extreme weather and schools remain open, student attendance is the parent/guardians’ decision.
A Transportation Snow Plan is in place for students who rely on travel by school bus and live in higher elevations such as Chilliwack Mountain, Little Mountain, Majuba Hill, Ryder Lake and some areas of Columbia Valley and the Eastern Hillsides. An announcement will be made should travel in these areas become challenging due to slippery road conditions.
Christmas Light Display
Hello Fairfield Island Neighbours
10340 Wedgewood Drive
We will be continuing our Annual Christmas Light Display again this year. Following is a list of dates we will have Santa out from approx. 5-7 pm. We will have small handouts, candy canes and hot chocolate available. We are accepting donations to food bank, by choice. The only exception will be if our FFI Parade goes ahead, we will be working with them that day for donations to go to Tydell Foods.
Please let kiddies know that there is a mailbox for letters to Santa and put them in a baggy to keep them safe and dry! He will return a reply as long as you supply the address.
Santa dates are:
Sunday Dec 3
Saturday Dec 9, 16 and last day 23rd.
We look forward to seeing everyone!
: The Salvation Army Care & Share Centre – 45746 Yale Rd
Monday, November 20 – Friday, December 8, 2023
Monday-Friday: 10:00am – 12:00pm & 1:00pm – 3:00pm; Saturday’s (Nov 25, Dec 2): 10:00am – 1:00pm
Picture ID (BC Driver’s License or BC ID Card) 1 piece of ID for each member of your household, children included (Care Card) Proof of residence in Chilliwack (utility bill, credit card statement, etc)
If you are not able to resister in person, you can send your information, ID and a letter of consent with someone to register on your behalf.
Each portion of the hamper will be on different dates and at different locations. To pick up the hampers you will need to bring your ID and the pick-up slips provided when registering.
Tuesday, December19, 2023
: Salvation Army Chilliwack Community Church, 46420 Brooks Avenue
Chilliwack Community Services Toy/Gift hamper: TBD
If you would like to contribute/donate to the hamper: Toys or Gifts for ages 0-18 years old: Chilliwack Community Services will accept any new unwrapped gift/ gift cards or monetary donation at the main office location: 45938 Wellington Ave or call 604-792-4267. To sponsor a toy hamper email before December 22, 2023. Food Donation: The Salvation Army will accept any monetary donation towards our Christmas hampers. To Sponsor a Hamper, please click or call the office at 604-792-0001 and ask for Chris Kizmann. Donation Receipts will be processed at the time of donation and mailed out to you following the donation.
December 14 – Hot Lunch – SinAmen
December 14 – Christmas Concert Dates 1pm & 6pm Performances
- All students attend both performances at 1:00 & 6:00pm.
- All audience members require a ticket.
December 15 – 22 – Check Lost & Found (any unclaimed items at 2:30pm on Dec. 22 will be donated to charity)
December 15 – Report Cards Sent Home
December 18 – Spirit Day – Christmas Hats
December 19 – Spirit Day – PJ Day
December 19 – Pancake Breakfast – School Wide
December 20 – Christmas Formal Day
December 20 – Christmas Store/Sale - PAC Event
December 21 – Spirit Day – Elf Day
December 22 – Spirit Day – Christmas Sweaters
December 23 – January 7 – Christmas Break
- The school does not provide cutlery to students. Please either pack lunch items that don’t require cutlery or send cutlery from home with their lunch. Thank you!
Strathcona equipment (hockey sticks, balls, holla hoops etc) is not available for after school use. We have this in place to reduce equipment loss and damage.
Thank you for your support.
Do you have a child that will be turning 5 years old before December 31, 2023? Please register at: https://sd33.vivosforms.com/Home
Starts at 8:09am, please do not send your child(ren) prior to this time unless they are supervised by an adult or going to Breakfast Club.
All students are required to have clean indoor shoes to wear while inside their classroom & gym. This is especially important since the wet weather has arrived.
Please ensure that your child has appropriate outerwear for the Winter weather. Students will go out for play periods, even when it’s raining, snowing, windy or chilly. Please make sure your child arrives to school with a warm jacket and proper footwear (particularly boots on rainy & snowy days), and on colder days remember to send mitts and toques as well. The school will only have inside play periods when it rains or snows heavily, is too icy out or we are experiencing extreme cold temperatures. Getting fresh air and some physical activity is an important part of their day…rain or shine!
Reminder to all Parents, Guardians and Caregivers,
Our school grounds are an Idle Free Zone. Please turn your vehicles off while waiting for your child(ren) in the parking lot and pick-up lane. Concerns have also been brought forward regarding vehicles on neighbouring streets being left running unattended while dropping students off. For the safety of students, we ask that you turn your vehicles off while leaving your vehicle unattended. Thank you for your cooperation.